Monday, April 2, 2007

It Is Official

I found out on Thursday that despite my terrible Ki Kaonde testing, I passed training and was officially sworn in on Friday as a full-fledged PCV (and Kaonde “washed in water,” as they say). We 39 trainees got gussied up in our finest chitenge suits and took a very official oath of service and pigged out on fabulous fabulous Indian food afterward in Lusaka. It was a very great day and whenever I have pictures available online, you can admire what can be done with a 2 meter cloth and how great my hair looks when I actually have a hair dryer and a curling iron. I put on perfume for the first time in two months and forced those near me to sniff me and tell me how wonderful I looked/smelled.

Story about the chitenge suit. Our language class decided to wear matching patterns of chitenge and choose a dress. Since we differed on style, I walked in to the tailor and said “please make me a number 6” and left the two other girls to hash out details on lace, hems, sleeves, etc. When I went to pick up my suit I discovered that the tailor had randomly chose another set of chitenges and made me a suit. We had an argument over what I had asked for originally and I thought for a while I would be wearing one of the same sets of clothes I’ve been in since I left DC. The lady was incredibly miffed with me and told others that I had tried to cheat her. Fortunately, 24 hours later I had a dress that fit and looked great and was the material I had actually purchased! Clear communication is essential here, but nearly impossible.

We are in Solwezi again for a couple of days ordering all of our supplies for the big move. I went into the hardware store today to inquire about sky blue paint for my mud hut walls. I’m trying to think of fancy little things I can do to make myself as comfy as possible. I am dreading shopping for buckets, pails, mattresses, etc. and all I’ve actually purchased in the last two days are a set of Tupperware and some bowls. Eating is always a priority for me. I’ve accepted it and will one day write an entry only on food and how much I love it and the amazing joy I get from making mac and cheese and how when given the choice between being plump or hungry, I will always choose plump.

We were asked as a training group to write down responses to yearbook questions for the end of our service like: who in your group is most likely to extend their service, etc. We will find out what our peers said about us at the end of our two years, but I already know my category of nomination: She Who Will Never Eat Nshima. This isn’t really true. I will eat nshima because it is culturally mandated to eat nshima if you respect the culture. But I will never choose to eat nshmia or crave it or cook it. If this changes, I will let you know.

I hope everyone is well and I will get back to writing letters every night as soon as I get posted. Please say a prayer for me on Thursday—the day I move into my new home. I’m excited and scared and worried: generally conflicted. I will be back into the PCV house at the end of April to get my work permit renewed and will write then. With all love, Stacey J.

2 comments:

Aunt Cindy said...

Stacey~

You are the most wonderful writer! You can always write books when you come back to the states!

My little life here in Texas is not as exciting. I have seen a total of 1 roach and I killed it in "Jesus Name!" and haven't seen another. I'm afraid I would die of a heart attack if I was there.

I go from what you are doing "is amazing" to YOU ARE CRAZY!!!

Really sounds like to are having a great time, especially with the toilet paper (hehe) and if you ever need anything, call your Mom! haha Just joking, let me know, I'm on the next plane.

Love You!
~Aunt Cindy~

Anonymous said...

Stacey Jean! Oh, how revived my soul is to finally find your blogspot. I have had several failed attempts...and I was so pleasantly surprised to find your aged (haha) email sitting in my mailbox. We have been reconnected - finally! I look forward to reading your every blog :) MISS YOU, praying for you, and LOVE YOU! xoxo MEG