Sunday, April 22, 2007

The First Two Weeks of My New Life:

It’s impossible to know where to begin. I called my parents at 4:00 a.m. because I was in the provincial house and having trouble sleeping due to some sniffing, sneezing, and general allergy melancholy. I talked to them for more than an hour and a half and just rattled on and on and on without really saying much of anything. So rather than do that here, I will just share some of my reflections that I journaled on my first day and add some stories in the next couple of days while I have internet access.

Oh, and I’m getting mail in Mufumbwe! I’m so excited! We only get mail on Fridays, but I make almost a daily run to the post office since I’m catching up on my responses. Thanks again to everyone who has been sending letters. Yesterday on transport I made a bit of commotion laughing out loud at the letters that had come into my box this week—it’s so good to be connected to home.

April 5

Today is the first full day at site and I had the same experience upon arrival as I did when I first arrived at homestay. I almost cried when I walked into my house and wanted more than anything to run away. Run as fast as I could back to my comfortable couch, air conditioning, and car. Fortunately, though, it is 9:00 p.m. and I have not seen any roaches. A vast improvement over my old house.

The night before we arrived I got very little sleep at the house because of jitters and then thoroughly cleaned the provincial house office the next morning in an effort to calm my nerves. (Who knew I would be that girl?? Certainly not me.) By 12:30 we were picked and packed and had our final shawarma and a quick last minute trip to Shop-Rite to purchase final food item purchases.

Because we got a late start, Caitlin had to stay with me for the night and then get posted this morning. It was nice to have the company and we stayed up and played Uno, ate chocolate, and read a magazine. I am plagued with anxieties. I fear that I won’t do anything positive in the next two years, that I won’t have any close friends, that I will not pick up on the language, and yet I have pride that I’m actually here at least trying to make a difference for others and for myself. And I’m trying to really believe that I will really be living in this tiny tiny hut for the next two years.

Reflections on my April 5 journal:

My emotions have been on a fast-moving swing. I alternate between euphoria, anxiety, and longing for home. But I can say that I’m finally settling into my house! Unfortunately, the roaches did indeed find me as well as a couple of frogs and a mouse, but I am getting a cat at the end of this week and I’m hoping that she will help alleviate those issues! I’ve also put up photos from home on a mini-clotheslines in my ‘living area’, given my dolls “little Kim” and “little Shirley” a prominent place on my table, and hand sewed curtains! (hoorah for me!) The community is working hard at making me comfortable. They made me a little wooden porta-potty looking seat for my pit latrine—very funny story there—have finished a gazebo, and are putting up a fence.

Work has been slow, but I have started meeting people and I force myself to go into town often and just greet, greet, greet.

I’ve also gotten much better at starting a charcoal fire every morning and evening and I’m always in by 7:00 p.m. to write letters and read. So, if you’ve written me, expect a response very very soon! (Well, soon as soon is from Africa)

I’ll write some of my stories out in the next couple of days.

All my love to everyone!
SJJ

No comments: