Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Peace Corps Karma

I write this blog from an adorable backpackers lodge in Livingstone, Zambia after a very odd week. After some delays, I’m finally on holiday! I spent all of last week in Lusaka for an in-service training where I had the chance to reconnect with friends from our training group and share ideas with veteran volunteers. After being in “the bush,” I’m on sensory overload and have been pushing my socializing, eating, and activity to the limit.

All of my plans for holiday were disrupted by a foot infection. I once again learned how quickly health concerns can get out of control here! On Monday I pulled out a pair of cute shoes to wear that I don’t get a chance to use in the village assuming, of course, that I wouldn’t be walking any further than to class. After a day of swapping stories, a group of friends and I decided to go out for dinner (which we did ALL week, much to my stomach’s delight) and walk to the road from our training center, about a half a mile, and take a mini bus to the strip mall rather than paying for a taxi to come get us. Unfortunately, I didn’t take into consideration the dust that gets in under the lip of the shoe and can do major damage in no time at all. I rubbed the skin on the top of my foot right off before I even noticed. Normally this situation would be moderately painful, but not really a bother with proper attention. 24 hours later, however, I developed an infection in my foot that has had me limping for the last week. By the time I consulted medical staff, my foot was twice the size it should be and I had to stay in Lusaka for a few extra days on major doses of antibiotics.

There is a queue for this computer so I’m going to sign off for now and complete my story tomorrow and explain the title for this entry.

TBC….

No comments: