Friday, March 16, 2007

Heading Back to Chongwe

Today is our final day in Solwezi and we’ll be returning to Lusaka on the 6:00 a.m. bus tomorrow with our language trainers. Our very kind trainer has invited the three of us Kaonde learners to stay with him in his home with his family for the evening tomorrow and go into Lusaka on Sunday for a final day in the city before we head into our final two weeks of training. Then, pause for a drumroll please, we will be heading off to our lives. I’m fortunate in that we are taking a proper bus tomorrow, so I will get the spoiled bwana treatment of riding sans animals and getting a place in my own seat. Also I’ve learned the great art of hanging out a bus window with 1 or 2 pin (one or two thousand kwacha) and yelling at the street vendors for biscuits (cookies) or soda for the ride when we make our short stops so I don't get too hungry.

For those of you who don’t know, Solwezi is about an eight hour bus ride from Lusaka and my village is about a five hour bus/car/lorry/ox cart ride from Solwezi. They have recently improved the roads, so if any of you are planning to visit me at my site—you know you want to!—the best way to get here is rent a 4-wheel drive after the rainy season and drive. Although many people have friends and family visit them from the states, the trip from Lusaka to my site is nothing to sneeze at. Some of you may want to simply meet me in Lusaka and then travel together to a national park for some fantastic game viewing.

I know a few of you have sent email, and yes, I’m responding when I can. Internet access here tends to be slow and expensive, so I prioritize my time online to write in this blog and then respond to emails as I can. I have been writing letters nearly every day that are far more personal than this blog, and you should be receiving those soon. So even though I often don’t respond to email, or it takes weeks for me to get back with you, I do read them and it makes me feel very loved to hear from you no matter the form of communication.

There is little new to report here. I’m having a few minor medical issues; I think my body is finally over the adrenaline rush of getting here and is complaining about the lifestyle. I have a nasty spider bite on my leg that looks crusty, a mole on my face peeled off, my sunburn is cracking in great brown blotches, I have a toothache, I’m sneezing from the dust, and my stomach has been pretty sensitive and puffy. Of course I’ve also been eating an enormous amount of dairy products in the last few days since I have access to ice cream at a tuck shop and a fridge where we can store milk/chocolate/cheese at the Solwezi house. My ailments can probably be prevented with closer care of insect repellant, pajama pants, sunscreen, vehement flossing after every meal, allergy medication, and proper attention to diet. I’m turning into a crispy dirty hag, but I’m also having the time of my life.

Tonight the previous group of volunteers is passing the baton on to us, the newbies. I’m impressed that after two years in Zambia, the PCVs of NW province have such tremendous self-confidence and have created such close bonds with the other members of the Peace Corps community. It’s going to be a great two years.

I’ll write again after training! Peace Be With You All.
Stacey J.

No comments: