Sunday, February 25, 2007

Writing an Email near a Chicken Coop

We have discovered an IGA (income generating activity) that runs two computers with internet in a shelter behind a chicken coop and a brewery. To get here, we have to walk 20 minutes up the tarmac from our huts, turn right at the swing set/butcher store and walk through a corn field.

Yes, I am in Zambia!

My friend and fellow language student is sitting next to me running through Kaonde flashcards since we have just a few days until our next language test and we will need to be able to use all 18 noun classes (agh!) and 5 verb tenses. I’m still trying to understand how we can have a verb noun class, but we do, and I will need to know how to make sure that my sentences are in agreement by Friday. Saturday we leave for our second site visit and I will finally see my new home.

Yesterday the Peace Corps trainees in my village had the privilege of meeting with the Head Man. In Zam fashion, our family was not quite sure when to arrive and had made plans to go into Chongwe to tour the police station, clinic, butcher shops, and family members, but on our way to town we were stopped by the coordinator of the Head Man visit and told to come in and pay our respects in the village court—a mud building we affectionately call “Lizard School” for the families of lizards living there. Since I am learning that waiting is a national pastime, I had fortunately brought a journal and a book, which I took advantage of for the next hour, and we were eventually paid respects by our village leader. The women danced for us and sang and welcomed us and I shook a hundred hands and I thought, “I LIVE here,” which is something I think on and off all the time. Since I'm preoccupied with the necessity of learning my new job, taking tests, and maneuvering the pit latrine, it is a brilliant moment when I really breathe and experience the reality of being here in this beautiful place with these lovely people.

The week had its ups and downs as I am starting to really miss my friends and family! Fortunately, I had a pile of mail finally arrive after weeks of waiting and I've struck up some excellent friendships with my near neighbors. I live in a village "cul de sac" and often spend time with the two ladies in my compound and two friends down the road. One of these friends was unfortunate enough to experience a bott fly in his knee, malaria, and a full body rash from an allergic reaction to fumigation all in three days. We are hoping that he has experienced all of our early African maladies for us! I have only had some vague stomach discomfort from too much vegetable oil and Coca Cola, but otherwise have been healthy and starting to get fit from all the walking!

The rain is pouring down and we may lose power, so I am going to sign off quickly. I love you all. Do write when you can. I write letters every night after classes and will return any mail.

Stacey J.

3 comments:

Shirley Dunbar said...

hi Stacey!!!
you look fabulous! I am enjoying reading your blogs - we all look forward to sundays right now as we have figured out that is when you are blogging... I miss you!

Anonymous said...

Miss you! I sent you some letters. Hopefully they were in that pile of mail that you got! I am planning on getting a box together this week to send.
-Lane

Anonymous said...

Joy~
What a fitting name you've been assigned! Your adventure has begun and it's a blast to read your blogs. Each time I read a new blog, I paint of picture in my mind of what you have shared and described to all of us who miss you dearly. I enjoy reading about your life in Zambia. Keep us posted! Much love to you...Anne